The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wednesday August 17, 2011 in Bar Harbor Maine

After the solitude and quiet (somewhat) of P's camp this day is certainly a switch let me tell you.
A great day dawned and I didn't want to waste it so off and running early this morning.

A great continental breakfast is held here and there are even little trays to take it back to the chair and table outside my room. I had breakfast in the early morning sunshine and it was just a great way to start the day.

If I remembered correctly Bar Harbor is really two streets that intersect and one ends at the main harbor. Perfect I found a parking space on one of the side streets and there is 2 hour parking so I figured I could stretch it a bit for a while.

The day was beginning for many of the shop owners so I did my tour to orient myself first then off to the harbor.
Wow! A huge cruise ship was just off shore! Neat!

I found out it is the Caribbean Princess and the passengers were starting to come on shore. It looked like it was going to be a busy day.
The harbour was something to see with huge yachts docked.



I then started to walk along the streets and check things out. So much fun shopping. There were so many fun things to buy! There were also lots of stores to check things out and compare. So, yeah, I bought canned lobster bisque, a couple of shirts and some other goofy stuff.

I had a blast! Oh dear, there is an ice cream shop and I have been walking for a while soooo a Pina colada smoothy was just the ticket! Sitting overlooking the Village Green and watching people go by it was awesome.


Since I've been having some problems with the Wi-Fi at the motel I decided to check out the internet cafe and see what it was all about if I had to write my blog from there. $2.50 for 25 minutes. Lots of computers and an espresso bar attached. Nice. There's plan B if I need it.

Needed to find a laundromat too, there's got to be one here and it's got to be cheaper than the $2.50 for a wash and the same for a dry. Aha! found one! open 24 hours too! Not that I'd do that but much cheaper and much bigger than the hotel across the way. All things are coming together.

The downtown core was getting more and more congested with folks and it was time to move the Equinox so off I went. Didn't really know where I was heading but it was following a sign to Northeast Harbor along route 3. What a fun drive! Weaving and dipping and following along to the harbor.
This is what greeted me.

Way too good to leave so I sat for a good half hour and watched the activity of the harbor. This place is where folks leave their boats to head off to the island that surround the whole Acadian peninsula. It is such a beautiful area and if you look at some of the boats there isn't a lack of cash around. Some of the yachts are HUGE!

After witnessing some of the poverty and really just plain low income this whole area is really a total flip of the coin. The homes are massive and beautifully kept. There isn't anything that isn't perfectly appointed and painted and the lovely gardens.

Another tour finished it was time for my early dinner and the Lundy's Lobster Pound was the perfect spot. A beautifully cooked little lobster with some salad while sitting in a screened in porch was the perfect conclusion to a great day. Lovely service and homemade pie to make the whole experience a lovely time.

Who knows what tomorrow may bring but there is an Ocean education centre down the road that looks really interesting!

This truly is a fantastic area to come to and I can see why so many people come here. The parking lot is full of so many different plates. So great!

I leave you with a Maritime picture!

Lobster floats at Northeast harbor, Maine.


No comments:

Post a Comment