The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sunday Aug 21-Bye Bye Ocean, Hello Mountains!

Today was a driving day across Maine and into New Hampshire. As per usual I did not take the quickest way but the way that would take me through some small towns and areas I might not see if I scooted across the state.

All packed up and ready to go around 9:45 am I headed north from Bar Harbor to Route 1. The fog was thick and flowing across the road at times but the drive was fine. Along Route 1 there are some small towns that seemed to have more "for sale" signs than it did any other type of sign. It was kind of sad to see. I wasn't near any of the fishing villages so that probably had something to do with it. Again, if there wasn't anything to keep the village going, it died.

I actually had to put the air conditioning on because it got to 89 F at one point (nice that my vehicle has a US or metric setting, very handy) and I decided it was time. The traffic started to get heavier and heavier and slower. Hmmm what's going on?

Aha! Freeport Maine, the home of L.L. Bean (all things sports and nice clothes) and other outlet stores. Tons of people and so many things to see. To stop or not to stop....
I decided not to stop because I still had a ways to go and the town I am heading to has all sorts of shopping too. I pressed on.

The landscape changed once I turned away from the ocean and the tall pine trees that the east coast is known for started to become more frequent. I really didn't see anything different, at times, from northern Ontario. Very nice countryside.

Lacking a New Hampshire map I stopped at the tourist info place (even though it was in Maine, it was very close to the state border so they had to have a map) and the lady there helped me a lot in finding the location of my hotel. I had been driving for over 4 hours and was getting a little bleary eyed. The storm clouds weren't helping in my anxiousness to get to my lodging. On the road for a short drive into North Conway and the Comfort Inn.

The humidity was really building and there were rumbles of thunder coming from the north and west. Better get moving!

I checked in just in time as the heavens opened and the storm hit. It was quite something and the rain was just streaming off the roof (I'm on the 3rd floor and near the eaves!)
The motel is fully outfitted and very comfy! Nice couch, huge king sized bed, windows over looking the "Pirates Cove" mini putt outfit and the waterfall in the centre of it is really lovely sounding. (The Mini putt is supposed to be the most challenging in the state but then I don't know how many there are in the state.) I may be a complete geek and play the 2 different courses while I'm here. I get a free round with my accommodations!



With a fridge and microwave and lots of supplies I couldn't face going out in the rain for dinner so I had dinner in. Nice to have that option. As that storm cleared the mountains to the west showed themselves and the clouds gathered again. I had to take a picture because it was really pretty.


So, not much else going on tonight because I'm a little road weary and the sightseeing bug isn't quite as strong as it once was but then I'm nearing the end of my travels. Maybe I'm just tired of seeing the ocean (really? can't be...) and now I have the mountains to look at.... something new now.

I am heading to the stores and things along the main street here tomorrow.  Everything I saw in Freeport is here! Yay! Lots to see so I better rest my eyes and get geared up! Okay I know I don't NEED anything but it's still fun to look and there might be something out there for me.

Cheers all!

No comments:

Post a Comment