The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Saturday 20th of August-Last full day in Maine

Foggy start to the day, which I think is the norm around here in August. I took my time this morning organizing all the maps I have and bags and what did I need for my last week on the road. I reviewed my route again for tomorrow and I think there are some sights to see while I'm on the road to New Hampshire and I'll have plenty of time to see them.
Travelling alone means I have to really learn the route as I don't have a navigator. Yeah, I have the nav system in the truck but that doesn't really give me things that I might see if I go one way or another. When I was chatting with a woman yesterday when I was sitting out overlooking the bay she said that I had to go to Rockland and check out the pier and lighthouse. It's very beautiful. Okay, sounds like a plan. Put that on the list...

Decided to walk downtown again, it's a nice walk and the little bus will bring me back up to the motel.
I sat at the harbour for a while and watched the fog come and go and look at the people wandering around, it was nice. There were some really big sail boats in the harbor. Something always changing in the scene.

There seemed to be less people around compared to the week days which is not what I expected so the stores were pretty empty which made shopping fun. I hit a couple of stores I hadn't been able to move in a few days ago. Purchases in hand I landed myself in the Bar Harbor Kitchen and had a lovely western omelet. I have been craving one of those things. Great food, super friendly service (the waiter actually helped me finish my cross word puzzle!) and no rush to do anything. Nice!

I wandered back to Village Green and to St. Saviour's Anglican Church which is the first permanent structure in what would have been called Eden Town (now Bar Harbor) it was built in the early 1800's. What is interesting is the windows designed by Tiffany. They are very distinctive in their appearance and the wooden church walls set them off perfectly.
The church was a quiet, cool place to wander around and I thoroughly enjoyed my time. With the humidity building I decided to head back to the motel and cool down a bit. An hour and a half later I woke up! Guess I needed a snooze!

I had found the laundromat earlier in the week and that's where I was heading for some processing of clothes for my last week! With the grocery store next door it was a handy way to fill up with some fruit (which I feel is lacking) and get some of the local ginger beer which is supposed to be very spicy. (Oh yeah is it ever good!!) I'm shying away from the blueberry beer though. I just can't bring myself to try it.... Ewwwwwww.

So tonight's task is repack the bags for the last week of travel and try and fit everything into the Equinox! I'm sure I'll make it somehow...

Off to New Hampshire tomorrow along Route 1 then head north on some side route that will get me through the White mountains. Looking forward to it!!

Bye Maine! It's been a lobstery good time.


No comments:

Post a Comment