The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Day 7-Shediac NB to Summerside PEI-260 km

On to the next province! Today I leave New Brunswick behind and head on to the next Maritime province. I can't belive a week ago I was cleaning up the cottage and packing the Equinox for the beginning of this tour. Wow!

Seely's motel in Shediac is really a stopping place for travellers, business people and long haul drivers. The accommodations were fine and everyone seemed to be scrambling to get going in the morning. I have found the maritime pace now, it's only taken a few days, and I took my time packing the car and getting things organized for the next stop.

One last stop in Shediac was to take pictures of the worlds largest lobster. Just a sculpture but supposedly the best rendition. He really is quite large and of course a touristy thing to do. One of the few things touristy that I've seen in New Brunswick.


Can you see the small child in the bottom right of the photo? That'll give some perspective.


In New Brunswick there is one neat place to go in the area that I'm in and that's Magnetic Hill. Yeah, it's the place where you put your car in neutral and the vehicle goes BACKWARDS up a hill. Yes, UP a hill.
Right, I had to do this.
So, off I go. It's well marked on the locator signs on the highway. Can't miss it. Of course there's an amusement park there too.

For $5 you drive to a spot marked by a white pole on a seemingly boring little dirt road on the side of a hill, then you put your car in neutral and take your foot off the brake.
What the????
The Equinox simply sailed UP the hill. I had to steer of course (no, the rear view camera was not working in neutral despite the fact that I was going up hill.)
How Cool Was That????
True to form I was there early and there was no one else in line so I begged the nice young lady at the top of the hill to let me do it again. She hesitated but then let me!!!!! Wheeee!!!

I have no idea how it works but even on the second time it was just as weird and it's not a slow ride, you MOVE up the hill backwards with no engine assistance what so ever. I'm glad I was a tourist today.

In many maritime provinces there is not much originality in place names. Yes, there is a Toronto, Southampton and Cornwall, PEI I have discovered but there is also a Port Elgin New Brunswick and since it was on my way I headed there for some pictures. The town is really a hamlet and not much goes on but it was still neat to go.



Okay, so the picture isn't great because I had to set it up on the hood of the truck then run to the spot to point at the sign. Hey, I'm trying....Yes I'm wearing a Toronto Argo shirt.

Taking back roads to the base of the Centennial Bridge to PEI I saw some beautiful country side and the long salt flats of dune grass that grows on the calm side of the Northumberland strait. The perfume coming off of the weed flowers (kind of like a baby's breath flower and a queen Anne's Lace) the drive was lovely but the road quite uneven and the Equinox was bucking like a bronco! It was a fun ride.
There used to be a ferry that ran from Cape Tormentine to PEI. That is the last way I got across. The bridge was being built at that time. Now the ferry docks are left to ruin and the little town is all but closed up. Sad really. Even the light house, which looks identical to the range lights in Southampton ON, was faded and broken. That was very sad to see.

The bridge is 12 km of 2 way traffic that can only be called exciting in inclement weather. It was neat to drive it and the temperature dropped about 5 degrees as I continued along the bridge. It was overcast and the visibility was hazy but you get the idea.


A change of maps before I headed over the bridge at my picnic lunch and I was ready to tackle PEI.
First impression.
Potato fields.
Miles and miles of potato fields.
It is understandable given it is the major import from this province.

I checked in at the Inn outside of Summerside and rested a bit.
Then off to be a tourist again.
I had done a drive through of the town and had an idea of where to go so I headed back to the harbour. I bought myself a "PEI dirt hat". It's a thing here to have clothing or something dyed using the red PEI dirt. The Man has a shirt and I think it's a cool idea to have something like that as a keep sake. So. I got a hat. Need one with the sun roof open in the truck. Goofy but fun.
The rain was coming down in buckets and the wind starting to pick up so for the first time a jacket was needed. I wandered down to a seafood restaurant on the wharf and found the friendliest people and the most amazing scallop dinner. (I'm taking a break from lobster for just one day.) The rain was getting worse and I figured it was a good time to head back to the Inn and beat the humidity for the evening.
The weather report for here was for increasing rain and some fog. The radio stations in PEI are SPUD fm and The Ocean 100 and CBC of course, personally SPUD fm makes me laugh so I'm going to listen to it.

Again another fun day with lots of different things to do and see. Tomorrow I plan to go to the North Cape which I saw in the distance when I was at the beach in New Brunswick a few days ago, I could see the wind turbines in the distance. This will be a nice tour on the North Cape Coastal Drive.

Isn't there a song about being "a spud in the red, red mud" ? Hmmm I'll have to check on that.





No comments:

Post a Comment