The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day 1-735 km Southampton to Cornwall via Haliburton

After a little hiatus from posting (been at the cottage and there's no internet there!) it's time to get back at it! I'm glad I can remember how!

It was a lot of hours in the saddle, so to speak, but it was an awesome drive.
The terrain changed so much from the shores of Lake Huron to the shores of the St. Lawrence Seaway. What a beautiful province we have.

Cottage cleaned up, truck packed, I think I have everything I need and if I don't either I don't need it or I can buy it.
It was with great anticipation and some fatigue that I moved over to The Man's house on Thursday night. My first renter comes on Saturday and I had to make everything ship shape before hand.

The moment I have been thinking of for so long had finally arrived. I was heading out on my North American pilgimage. Wow!
The weather was warm and not too humid when I left so windows open, breeze flying by and all was good.
I did come across a road block on Grey Road 18 (yes, I'm taking back roads for the most part), a flock of Canada Geese, probably 50 or so, on the road. Roosting on the road. Not standing around, SITTING on the road. Yikes! So, I slowed to approach them and they slowly scattered. I thought, I hope that this is the only wildlife I have to move off the road to make my way but I'm thinking this might be the start.

I left Southampton around 7:30 am and my destination was Cornwall, Ontario. Why? Because it's there and The Man was last in Cornwall to work and live and I wanted to see what he's been talking about all this time.
I picked a route that would take me there without the 401 being used. It would take me longer to get there but Cornwall was a destination that I had, when I got there didn't matter. I was booked already in the hotel.

The Haliburton Highlands is some of the most wonderful country, not only to drive in but to sight see in. The roads are in good shape and my favourite road, from Bracebridge to Haliburton, is a fantastic drive. My friends D and S have built a house in West Guilford and I have been there a few times and know this route. It was a great drive on a beautiful day and no traffic. I don't mind traffic. I just don't want to be stuck in any unless I have to.

After lunch in Haliburton by the lake under a big pine tree, I made up a route that I haven't done before. From here on it was uncharted territory for me. I have been this way but only on the 401 or #7 so I was taking back roads and had to figure out where to turn. The navigation system is good in the truck but it can only go where it's programmed and I wanted to go a route that I might change as I go along. Remember, I'm a map girl and I loved finding my way with my maps.

In Merrickville I stopped briefly to watch some boats lock through the Rideau. I was driving on the Rideau trail scenic route and it takes you through some lovely countryside. Have a full tank of gas (I didn't by this point) or know you'll make a major town as the gas stations are few and far between. I stopeed when I felt I needed to and by Merrickville I was looking to get up and walk around a bit. The water bottles I had were now warm (hadn't used AC yet) and the Kool-a-tron was working perfectly. It's so nice to have a little fridge along to keep things cool without worrying about ice and all that mess.

After driving through what it seemed like fields and fields of corn, after the rolling hills of Haliburton and the rocky landscape of Muskoka it was so different and neat to see. In a matter of hours the landscape had changed so much. I can see why towns like Perth and Smiths Falls started. There's nothing then there's a whole town that appears. Between which there is nothing but fields.
In Haliburton there's nothing but rock, then a town! Kind of reminded me of north Bohemia. Hills, rocks, (okay, higher hills than Haliburton) then a boom, a town! Very neat. I was thinking of the way my cousin V drove through the steep parts on the way to the mountain cottage and I was channelling her good driving. I didn't have a standard transmission though but had fun coasting down the long slopes.

Tired, eyes burning from the hours on the road and the sun I arrived in Cornwall at the hotel. After a few trips to the truck and back I was settled in for a couple of days, I think. I didn't really know where I was in regards to any restaurants so I just drove down the road and had a nice meal at an East Side Mario's. One of my goals is to find out of the way diner type places to eat (yes, I love "Diner, Drive Ins and Dives" on the Food Network) but I was in need of dinner and would settle for what ever. I picked up some tourist brochure things and found out that there is the Kiwanis Lift Off festival happening. This is a hot air balloon festival. How cool is that! I LOVE hot air balloons. After dinner I drove down to the area where the festival is and there were thousands of people, a midway, carnival, a bandshell and in the distance some hot air balloons. This is something to check out tomorrow I think.

Saturday is a day to investigate the area a little bit and head to Long Sault which is a town that was created when 4 or 5 other towns were "drowned" to make the St. Lawrence Seaway. There is a museum and expo of the life that was and is now. I'm fascinated by this concept of uprooting people just for the sake of the betterment of something else. Is it right?
I will not comment on that but I will learn things about what happened to Aultsville and the rest of the towns along the banks in the pre-Seaway days.

Flipping between the football game (Argos lost) and baseball (Blue Jays won) I drifted off at the end of my first day on the road.

Up, up and Away!

No comments:

Post a Comment