The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 2 Saturday the 16th-Cornwall

I've always taken the stand that getting up early, even while on vacation can mean a full day of entertainment and with the weather the way it is, cooler entertainment.
After a nice breakfast I headed out to check out the town and see what's what.

First stop was the waterfront (Seaway front??) where folks were getting their fishing boats launched (very popular activity it seems) and I watched a flock of young ducks have some breakfast. The Seaway is quiet where I was standing but about 100 yards out it is really moving. I guess this is the downflow of the hydro dam. It is the construction of this dam that flooded the Seaway and took away several towns. Oh yeah, they had 4 years warning that this was going to happen but I'm going to investigate all of that today.

The hot air balloon festival was not set up yet but I talked to some of the pilots and assistants as they were unloading the equipment (basket weighs over 250 pounds in some cases and can take a month to make) and testing the winds (none so to speak of). One group had a portable weather station that they used as the thermoclines above water or land can make a huge difference in steering these things. It was only 9 am and the real show wouldn't be until 11 or so. Oh well, it was neat to see the process of getting these craft good to go.

I drove out of town to the west along #2 highway to Long Sault, which is a relocation town from the 1958 flooding for the dam. I found the Long Sault Seaway parkway which is a neat road connecting many small islands. I found the display of the pre and post Seaway and what they did to make the flooding work with the least disruption. There is a number of divers preparing for a view of the towns as they stand right now. From my angle I couldn't see anything of course but I understand from the air you can see the outline of some foundations and the divers find it weird to see a submerged town. The only indication of direction to find it is a rope staked in the side of the bank that disappears into the Seaway.

I drove along the parkway and found a nice shaded area and stopped to sit by the water and enjoy. Hoople island was one of, I think, 8 islands that had tables and nice views. After setting up my chair I settled in to watch the world go by. I guess it's finally hitting that I don't have to do anything unless I want to. Hmmm neat feeling but it's taking me a while to get to that point...

Around noon I packed up and headed off to check out the bird sanctuary (birds have passed through for the season) and found out that this is one of the most popular spots in the fall. This area was once a farm where Holstein cattle were introduced to Canada in 1886. There were 6 to begin with. Holy cow! They are everywhere now. Again, small trivial things...

I found the Aultsville museum area, which is run by volunteers and has a good example of some buildings and artifacts from the towns. When a museum is run by volunteers I find they are so grateful with the artifacts that they get and they have to display them in any manner possible. I love the way that pictures are indicated with "Uncle Max's last fishing trip" and things like that. It makes it more home like. There were other visitors at the museum site and the young lady in one building was explaining to them that the townspeople had 4 years to leave and there was a huge amount of preparation for the event. Many buildings were moved ($85.00 to move the school) and some were donated to Upper Canada Village. The  relocated people had a lot of time to mentally prepare too. The other visitors listening to this still couldn't get their heads around the whole concept. I found it hard too and I think that's why there is a museum site to remember what they had before the inundation.

Hot and a little tired I headed back into town and with my sandals now nearly completely apart at the back (okay, I bought knock offs) I decided I needed to get something a little more useful that didn't squeak when I walked.
I found some Keen's on sale (yay!) and also bought a pair of Croc sandals too, for the pool and the water. The sales lady and I were chatting about life and weather and I used my line that I'm travelling through and she asked where I was heading. She was so envious of my trip and the other sales girl, who overheard, said she so wished she had done that "in her youth". We all laughed when she reacted to my grey hair! Yes, I think I'm young but I think it's the chrome highlights that make a difference!

Hungry now I headed to famous Billy K's steamy weenie shop. For 79 cents you can get a "loaded" steamie. A soft, squishy bun with hot weenie crammed inside and covered in mustard, relish and slaw. Oh yum!!!!
The fries and gravy were pretty good too.
I think the weenie and bun are steamed and I don't know that I could ever reproduce it but man, they were good. I think I could eat, um, at least 6 but I held back at 2.

I decided the 31 degree heat was too much to handle and headed back to the hotel to watch football, have a snooze and cool off. (Thank God for AC).

Tomorrow is a long driving day to New Brunswick and a good rest is good plan I think....

Hmm I wonder when Billy K's is open in the morning....I could get a bunch of steamies to go.....

No comments:

Post a Comment