The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Friday, October 28, 2011

The Red Earth of Oklahoma?

Short post tonight as I've spent most of it behind the wheel of the beloved Equinox.
From the snowy landscape of upper New Mexico I traversed over the panhandle of Texas.
Scrub brush turned to flat, very flat, hugely flat land with little black mounds that were Angus cattle.
That's all you saw, nothing else.
Kind of like the Canadian prairies.

Then Oklahoma.
Red dust.
Red mud.
Red ground under the green grass.
Oh yeah, the best, nicest and fanciest Tourist Information stop. (Granite counters in the bathrooms!)
No big hoopla that I had arrived in Oklahoma (ie no big sign telling me so) just the sign for the information stop and a sign that I was now in Central Time.
Oh yeah, and the sign telling me the information stop also had a tornado bunker. Huh??
Thankfully I will not be in need of one of those on this tour. But, with this really flat land I can see how the storms could really pick up speed and become as dangerous as they are. I haven't seen any damage from any storms other than a silo that was crushed by the side of the road. Eerie though.

I40 drives right into Oklahoma City and I decided to stop before that to avoid the chaos of trying to find the right road to get up to Tulsa. Weatherford is a former cattle and truck stop on Route 66. There are cattle everything around here.
Yup, even saw a guy with horns on the front grill of his truck while I was driving along. Right ON!

So the lovely Comfort Inn that I have found myself for the night has a nice pool and is very spacious. Again, I guess it's what you pay for. This place is a little more expensive than the others (by 25 bucks) but it's great. After nearly 6 hours of driving it's nice to stop for a few hours. Booking on line is a real handy thing let me tell you. I know where I'm staying. I don't have to worry about figuring out what room I'm in. It's all done. I just arrive, sign a form and I'm in. Checking out is just as easy. Drop off the key and I'm done. Love it.

I'm on the road again tomorrow. This country is huge!  Then I'll stop for a couple of days and give the Equinox rest.

Ah, the pool calls me!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment