The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Monday, October 24, 2011

Hey! There's a cloud! Wow! Cool!

I post this sitting in the back yard of the wonderful Adobe Village Graham Inn in Oak Creek Arizona. I'm listening to the birds as they flit between the feeders and the fountains on the terrace around the side. It's a balmy 80 F. I'm in my bathing suit.

Horrors!!! There's a cloud! What you say? A cloud?
Yes, after 2 weeks of not seeing a cloud in the sky, one has come along, or should I say several.
The red rocks are now orange in colour and there's actually a breeze!
Could it be that the state that gets only 1.6 inches of rain in October might get some today?
Weird.

This area is so parched that drying anything takes only a matter of minutes.
Mould doesn't grow.
It can't.
Any moisture is sucked right out of what ever it's in.
Your drinks don't even leave a ring on the table.
Can't.
Too dry.
Right on!

Being asthmatic this climate is lovely! Even today when I was up at about 8000 ft on top of a canyon I was doing okay. Not great but okay.
This place rocks.

  • I have not felt any pull to the vortecies that are supposed to put one in "balance" with the earth and self. I think they're just big red rocks. The mysticism of the Vortex's is huge here. Maybe my mind isn't ready for that balancing stuff yet. I just take pictures of the vortex and move on.
  • I have seen the change from desert (no living thing above 3 feet tall) to the Ponderosa Pines of the Upper Oak Creek Canyon (now there's a fun drive for you folks-narrow switch backs up 2000 feet of rock cliff!).
  • I can tell the difference between a hedgehog cactus and a sprawling prickly pear cactus.
  • I have had the best prickly pear lemonade (oh yum!)
  • I've eaten more types of salsa than I can remember.
  • I have yet to eat rattlesnake but it's on the list for tomorrow or today, who knows.
  • I found the most incredible restaurant in the middle of nowhere (literally) run by a chef that needs to have his name submitted to the Food Network. Hmmm I think that's a plan.
  • I am finding everyone here is so friendly and seems to know that I'm from Canada. I don't get that....Anyway...eh?


 
Can you see the road in the above picture? Yup, me and the Equinox drove up that sucker!

I have a feeling after I leave here the roads won't be as hilly and I'll miss the challenge of the switchbacks.

Oh, have to go now. The hot tub is at the perfect temperature to enjoy!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment