The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Friday, October 7, 2011

Giant trees to Vineyards and Palm trees

This state truly has everything in it. This morning I woke up to the fog and mist rising up off the Pacific and the waves and now I'm in the middle of the vineyards of the Sonoma valley. I have checked out the Avenue of the Giants. Seen huge piles of the biggest seaweed I've ever seen and elk on the move getting to their winter feeding areas.

I've seen over 2 dozen hitchhikers (4 I saw repeatedly as they got lifts to where I ended up stopping) some decked out in very interesting outfits. Yes, there were the dudes in tie dye!
I'm settled in my nice hotel for a couple of nights where I have a palm tree outside my patio door and the pool is just steps away. Oh yeah, there's a lime on the tree around the corner. How cool is that!

The crashing waves of the Pacific this morning were interesting because they were muffled in their sound. The foam on the top of the waves was so thick that I think that dampened the sound. It was really different to hear. The waves were very powerful despite the fact that there was no wind. There were many warnings over it.

The drive continued to be twisty but there were also warnings about having headlights on at certain points. Not a problem for me (Canadian cars) as my headlights are always on and come on automatically full if it gets darker. There were times today, driving in the morning with the sun out that my headlights came on because the TREES were blocking out the sun. The huge, gy-normous, towering redwoods blocked out the light. The road was slick from the heavy rain we had last night and it was dark and just weird to drive through that area but oh so beautiful. I opened the windows a bit to get the scent of the forest. So clean, and clear and fresh smelling. Fantastic.


Out of the trees the ocean was the attraction. At the Redwood forest information place I checked out the beach and the weird stuff that comes up on the waves. First of the waves can be very unpredicatable and there are things called "sneaker" waves. Guess they come along and sneak up on you and take you down and sweep you out to sea! Love the name!

California rocks dude!
The adventure continues in the Sonoma vine valley! Vineyards as far as the eye can see!

No comments:

Post a Comment