The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Gee it's hot in California!

It feels like August in Ontario out here right now.
About 90 F.
And humid.
Yick!
Glad there is airconditioning in my room. Phew!
The drive today took me away from my beloved ocean and through the mountains which were totally burnt dry and golden. I drove through pistachio, almond, apricot, cotton and walnut farms. It was totally neat to see! The farms go for miles and miles! Now I know where my favourite bags of pistachios come from !

The temperature got warmer and warmer as I decended from the mountains. I actually had to turn on my AC in the truck!
One of the big issues here in California is the use or mis use of water. There are signs all along the interstate stating that without water there are no farms. No farms means no jobs, no jobs means no towns and the rest is easy to figure out. Again the economy is really a challenge here.

The land became really, really flat too. I mean prairie flat! Wow! What a difference! Without a cloud in the sky it made for a very interesting drive. I really enjoyed the difference again.

Arriving fairly early here in Bakersfield I had a chance to review my maps and plan my next part of the journey. I think I have it all figured out. Some days will be long drives but I think I'm going to see what I want to see across the US. There might be a stop in Branson Missouri to check out a few shows and what all the hoopla is about that place.

So, on the road again  and heading east now. My time at the Pacific has been great and it's now a new adventure! Oh yeah, I have to have my fill of glitz and glam and all things over the top in Vegas. Bring it on! I'm gonna like it! I just wish it was a little cooler! Oh well. I will remember this heat when I'm back in Ontario and thinking how nice it was to be in shorts in late October!

Cheers all!
Saying goodbye to California tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment