The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Finally at the Pacific!

Today, this evening I finally touched the Pacific ocean to put part of my goals behind me for my pilgrimage year.
I have gone from sea to sea.
Wow!

Today I arrived, in the pouring rain, in Seaside Oregon after an eclectic drive from Surrey BC (after quite the questionning by the lady border crossing lady who wanted to know my complete agenda, I seemed to have satisfied her I guess as she let me through finally).

I have driven through potato farmland, grazing land, over mountains, through dark green forests and even took a little car ferry across the Columbia river. I've seen Mt. Ranier, Mt. St. Helens, the Seattle Space needle, the huge Astoria span bridge over the Columbia river delta, several huge liners ready for loading with grain and crops and tons of different crops and animals being transported to the shoreline. It's been really amazing. The last 2 hours of the drive was pretty rainy but that's been pretty typical for this time of year I've been told.

Seaside, Oregon is really a town on the seaside (really original in the naming of this place) and because it's October it's a little quiet but I still really enjoyed walking the couple of blocks to the beach to check it all out. I'm not too concerned about the stores not being open it's the ocean that I'm totally enthralled with.
This town is also the end of the Lewis and Clark Trail. I'll have to research that a little more but there is a large statue on the seashore. I did drive along the Lewis and Clark trail for most of the day. Perhaps it's where they ended up when they finally made it west! That's neat!


Tomorrow morning I hope to head back down to the shore before I leave to take daytime pictures.

Right, I know, I know I'm driving all along the Pacific coast and I'm going to be seeing this body of water over and over but....it's just so neat to be here.

Ahhhh I made it!!!


There are lots of hotels and motels here and some are right on the ocean and lovely (probably really expensive too) but the good old Comfort Inn is on a river that winds through town and my room as a little balcony overlooking the river and there are some ducks wandering around. It's really neat. I'm only 2 blocks from the ocean too. Oh yeah, there was a good sushi bar a block away too! Nice spot.
This is somewhere I'd like to come back to in the summer time and really enjoy the miles of beach in the nicer weather.

So tomorrow I really start to drive on the Pacific Coast By-way Route (as it's called) and enjoy the sights and sounds of this ocean!
I really can't believe my dream of being here so many months ago has come true. It's so great!

No comments:

Post a Comment