The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

South Bohemia Part 3- Easter Monday

Easter Monday is a state holiday in the Czech Republic and there are lots of things still to do as the touristy areas are still quite busy and only a few things are closed. Similar to our Good Friday in Canada.

The cuck-oo bird was out again at 5 am and it was so cold you could see your breath but I was all snuggled in the sleeping bag and bivouac bag. Good to snooze a bit longer. I slept on the veranda due to the threat of rain but could still see the stars, breathe the fresh air and totally enjoy my time at the cottage. Once I was up I did the good Girl Guide thing and aired my sleeping bag and put my bedding out in the sun to warm. That is something that you see a lot here in the Czech Republic, when it is warm outside and the sun is out the windows open wide to have the bedding hung out. Comforter first then pillows on top. It's the same everywhere! The windows open here in two ways, in, like a normal door or window and only from the top, leaning in. Very neat. Again, with no screens it makes it quite easy to do the airing.

We had breakfast at the table by the lake bed in the sunshine and it was lovely. This usually consists of tea, bread, smoked meat of some type, some cheese, cream cheese and butter too. There are vegetables cut up as well. This is easy to prepare and makes it easy for everyone to enjoy what they like. I haven't had an egg since I arrived! I don't miss it as there is lots of protein else where!


We packed up the cottage and headed off to Cesky Krumlov. This town is dominated by a huge castle that was once home to the Rozenbergs, then Eggenbergs, then the Schwarzenbergs. It was tremendous! Words cannot describe how huge it was and how beautiful it was. Really something to behold. The views were fantastic and I took many pictures of the area, the buildings and the sights.
Cesky Krumlov with Vltava river beneath

We wandered around the town, the old part, with winding streets and narrow lanes for a while and then headed to the town square. Not surprisingly on our travels we met a couple of Scout friends of Tomas'. Sometimes I end up doing the same thing. It was nice to see so many people from so many different countries. This one of the major tourist castles in the Czech Republic and it's no wonder why. Awesome.

Tomas, Jana and I walked through the Castle and took pictures in the garden which I would love to know how they cut the hedges sooo perfectly. It was lovely and in the summer with the rose bushes blooming I bet it's even more beautiful.

The whole town is settled in a hillside with the castle on one side of a valley and the rest of the town on the other. It was severely damaged in the flood of 2002 and there is evidence of how high the water was. The walk and tour made us hungry so before leaving we found (or Milena knew of) a small restaurant just off the Old Town Square. It was fantastic! The food in Czech Republic as been outstanding and I haven't had anything I haven't liked. Oh I can hear the comments from the friends and family back home but hey, it's the truth.
In the parking lot of the castle I was looking at all the licence plates, Jana was helping me identify the countries. There were ones from every European country I think. It was fun to be part of such a historical place.

Our final stop on the tour was Zlata Koruna. This Monastary started in the 12th century was named "Gold Crown" for the wealth that it amassed from farming the area, trade and gifts. Though closed for the holiday we wandered around and I saw a lovely, quiet place that would have been perfect for the study of theology. Since this area is very much Catholic, as indicated by the personal shrines every were, roads, buildings, homes, this is one of the places it all centred on.

My brain, full of information, pictures, views and the rest of it we started the post holiday weekend trek to Prague. The traffic, not unlike anything in Ontario from Muskoka to Lake Huron to Toronto was slow. We made it in 3 hours or so. At times going no more than 10 kms an hour. I snoozed a bit and watched the rain clouds gather. It's the first rain I have seen since my arrival. Home to Vlasta and Mirek's apartment I tidied up, cleaned up and watched some TV to try and get caught up on sports and news.

I leave you all with some pictures....


Bears guarding the moat at Cesky Krumlov


View of Vltava river from Garden Courtyard of Cesky Krumlov

South Bohemian town of Cesky Krumlov


No comments:

Post a Comment