The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Friday, April 29, 2011

A Clock, a patio and a family dinner

Today is a day I actually got moving and out of the apartment early and down to the Old Town square to see the Astronomical Clock chime in the hour. If you are a visitor to Prague you HAVE to see this very interesting event. It's not something that is a long process or something that is awe inspiring. It's just something that has been going on for centuries and it's fun to watch.
The clock is chimed by a skeleton which is pulling a bell, there are two doors that open up above the clock and the 12 apostles peek out before turning away then a gold rooster crows to finish the show. At the top of the clock tower there is a trumpeter who sends a fanfare across the Old Town Square! There are hundreds of people who turn out for this hourly event. The other day when I had been here it was unbelievable the number of people crowded around so I decided an early start was in order.



After witnessing that and really enjoying the show and the people too I headed off to be a tourist again.
I had one more place on my "to do" list and that was Jewish Town. This ancient area is not only a functioning worship space but also a permanent museum to Czech Jews. This population did not escape any persecution by the German regime. The synagogues, the museum pieces and the cemetaries that were kept, actually by the Germans to be used as historical pieces to be displayed as "part of a decimated race".  That piece of information floored me and to be witness to the items that were to be an example of people that would no longer exist was really quite overwhelming. The synagogues were beautiful and ancient and you could FEEL the history.
The cemetary was again, something interesting and ancient. There were stones there from the 1400's! Yikes! There were small prayers on paper stuffed in nooks and crannies of these stones and it added to the mystery of the visit.

Steeped in history I was looking for somewhere for lunch. In this town that is never a problem! It'd deciding what to have. I had on my list to sit on a outdoor patio and enjoy a beverage and/or lunch too! I found a small spot just off of the Old Town Square that was perfect. Lots of people watching, lots of sun and comfy chairs. So another thing off the list to have done! I enjoyed my meal (stone fired pizza!) and pivo!

Fortified I headed off to take some more pictures wander around and enjoy the city for the last time as I had finished my touring of this ancient and beautiful European centre of history.

I ended up near the bridge that I first witnessed when I was driven to Prague over 2 weeks ago. I can't believe it's been that long! I took more pictures and then found that the tram that will take me to the bottom of the hill to the apartment. It was a great ride! My feet were a little worn out!

My touring done I was happy to have a little while to regroup after all I had seen.

Tonight was the family dinner, organized due to the plans of others who have cycling trips, spa trips to Hungary or cottage trips on the weekend. It was a chance to see everyone in one place. The "club" as the family calls it is a lovely meeting, dinner and social place. A lovely spot to be and enjoy time with family. 
I had my computer with me and we showed the pictures I had taken on a big screen they had there, it was fun!

Tomorrow is the royal wedding and an attempt to pack all my things!

Here is a family photo from the dinner! What a great conclusion to a great trip!


Kate and Honza, Martina and Kuba, Milena, Mirek and Vlasta, Petr, me, Tomas and Jana


No comments:

Post a Comment