The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 7-Prague Castle

This morning Martina picked me up at the apartment and we took the Tram to the west (back?) side of Prague Castle and had a great time snooping around at various buildings, gardens and sights.
Martina noted that she is a tourist in her own town and often is seeing things for the first time when she shows someone around. We had a great tiime. The grounds of the Summer Palace of Queen Anna were spectacular with the rhodedendrons all in bloom and the tulips looking lovely. It is really quite a spot and I can only imagin what it was like in the 1700 and 1800's.
Prague Castle is actually a series of building, including many religious buildings on the same site.
Martina and I enjoyed lunch together then she departed to go to work. I was on my own to explore!
As soon as you walk through the guarded gates of the Castle you are lost in a time of antiquity. It is simply stunning!

I did see a foundation of St. Mary's church that dated back to 800! Truly an amazing experience through history.
In many buildings pictures are not allowed and I obeyed that, though many didn't sadly but what can you do.
I had a lovely visit in one of the art galleries there that show various works from not on the period of Prague Castle being in full use but also of sights and sounds from the Prague Castle itself. It was very enlightening!
The whole place was quite full of tourists like myself and I hung around a English tour guide for a bit getting what she was saying to her group. It was fun!

After 2 hours there I moved on to some fun things. The Toy Museum! This is also on the grounds of Prague Castle and a great visit. There were toys displayed from the 1700's on. They even had a massive collection of Barbies. I think this museum has collected every special Barbie including the first one. She looks nothing like they do now.
Then the stairs down. This was the best route to go today. It was 24 celcius and sunny so I know I would have perished going up.
I wandered through Na Kampe, bought some water (can tell a tourist, they are drinking big bottles of water, local, if there are any in this part of town, are drinking beer) and headed to the river to enjoy  a sit and read of my Prague Castle book.
Having some time on my own I watched the Vltava lock bring some boats through, took some more photos and just enjoyed the day and the scenery.

At 4:30 I was to meet Milena at the Charles Bridge tower to go to a pub and meet some other members of the 5th and 9th Scout troops. These gentlemen (and lady) are into their 80's as well and all are sharp as tack and fun. Though only one spoke English (she had worked at the Canadian Embassy) I could tell the commaradery was still there and they could recite the Troop cheers with gusto.


From left to right, Josef, Radek, Milena, me, Dasa and Tom
One gentleman, Josef Rossler, had just published a book of his adventures building his own boats and sailing them around Europe! Just amazing these folks. A pleasure to meet them and they enjoyed being together too. We were in a private Engineering association pub and it was very quiet and I enjoyed the view of the Charles Bridge from a different vantage point that many might not see. It was very special.
All the Scout members were quite taken with my memorial tattoo to Dad. The fact that it included the Scout symbol was very important to them.

Again, worn out, Vlasta and I headed home.

Tomorrow Terezin with Tomas!

I leave you all with one picture from the Royal Gardens of Queen Anna's Summer Palace.

No comments:

Post a Comment