The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Monday, November 8, 2010

On Retreat

I think everyone should have the opportunity to retreat.
The word says it all.
R-E-T-R-E-A-T

Go away to somewhere that is either different than your regular life or just retreat into yourself for some reflection, renewal or a personal time out.
I decided a few weeks ago to do that and made a reservation at a perfect spot for a retreat.

One of my special places on earth (other than Southampton Ontario) is Ste. Anne's Spa and Inn near Cobourg, ON. You just have to walk in the door and the scent of the whole spa experience hits you and you immediately start to relax. I do anyway.
For the first time ever I decided to stay overnight. Actually, two overnights.
I figured this would be good practice for my travels in the next year that will be done solo.
Can I cope just making idle conversation with those around me? Or just sitting silent and listening to those around me chatter?
No problem there. Passed that test.

Actually I spent a few days just reading, relaxing, enjoying a long hike in the woods and hills around the spa. I read a book! I was empowered. I was pampered. It was great!
For most of the time I didn't speak to anyone, other than placing my order in the dining room for a meal.
I spend my days talking, mostly to strangers, in my job. It was sooo refreshing to just sit back and listen to the world around me.

As I walked through the forest early Sunday morning, the frost was still clinging to the tips of the branches of the cedars, I realized that I need that "nature break" in my life or the concrete world will get to me. Many of the travel books I looked through I was drawn to the "natural wonder" section of the book. This is where my focus will be for my trip I think.

As I sat in one of the andirondak chairs on the south lawn at Ste. Anne's listening to the world getting ready for winter,  I thought what a great scene it was. Dressed for the cool weather I just sat and watched Lake Ontario in the distance and the rest of the outdoors just be.

The retreat concluded, as all breaks do, with a trip back to reality. I made this trip a nice gradual one by avoiding traffic (as best I could) on the way into Toronto. Dropping my things in the apartment and promptly lying down for a snooze in the sun on my futon.

Tomorrow will be another day....

No comments:

Post a Comment