The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Friday, March 30, 2012

One week to go in Paradise

Well, it's finally arrived.
My last week here in lovely, quiet Port Charlotte, Florida.
My to do list isn't too long really but it's amazing all the things I've done, either with The Man, friends, family or on my own.
There are a few things left to do (other than hang out by the pool and read books) and I have a schedule for them all.

First was to finalize some shopping. With the lower tax rate down here buying clothing especially is lovely. New shoes, along with some new shirts and some nifty thermal glasses are all stored away.
I am still on the quest for a Kobo Vox eReader.
I know, I know I can get it in Canada but hey for nearly 12% less I'm going to try down here. Two more Best Buys to check out then I'm going to pack that in and just buy it at home. The book stores carry a version of it called a Nook but since I'm already with Kobo I don't want to switch products or services. Probably could but why? I'm on a quest!!

One tour I wanted to do was a trip to Sanibel and Captiva Island. This little spit of land is supposed to be beautiful and the beaches filled with sand and awesome shells. Of course there are cool restaurants on the islands too so I thought I'd make a day trip of it.

After crossing the causeway to the island. I hung out in slow traffic (only one road really) and meandered my way to the end of the island, called Captiva. I figured the beaches were going to be huge expanses of sand and sea. Not to be. They were small, very crowded and not long at all. Now were did I get the idea they were like Sauble Beach? Hmmm
What was like Sauble was the way the homes were close to the road then there were dunes on the other side of the road. Many, however, were for sale. Interesting.

Causeway to Sanibel Island

Road on Captiva Island that looks like Sauble Beach, without the palm trees!

Busy Beach of Captiva Island
Typical small road of Captiva, note the mist coming from the restaurant to the right. It really cooled you down. Awesome!


Like many of the islands off Florida they were not intended for vehiclular traffic and the roads are very narrow. Thankfully I am so used to the beloved Equinox that navigating the tight turns and small guage of the roads is no issue but I did amuse myself my watching a gentleman manoever a large van (rental?) through the laneway beside the restaurant I had lunch at. Gotta keep your wits about you. A Smartcar would be fantastic to have here.

Captiva Island was hopping on Tuesday. It was jammed with sight seers, beach goers, gawkers and just people enjoying the visit. Nice. Everyone was having a good time. As you can see by the pictures the weather was certainly helping. It was close to 90F (30C) and with little breeze, shade was important.

I had seen in a touristy thing an ad for The Key Lime Bistro. With my continued love of all things Key Lime I had to find this place. With The Man's help the night before, he on Google Earth (love that program) at home in Southampton and me with a map in Port Charlotte, he and I found the place. Then the next day I found it for real. Boy, Google Earth is good because this place is really small and tucked back where you wouldn't see it if you were driving the main road (only road?) on the island.

Seated under the awning I enjoyed a great beverage (hey, it was afternoon by this point) and the most awesome eggs benedict made with key lime hollandaise sauce. Foodie my nature this hit the spot and then some.

Okay I had to get this drink. No, I wasn't driving right after either. Couldn't resist...


OH YUM!!

After refuelling at the Bistro and listening for a while to the great guitar player they had I headed out on a walk of the area. I did ask if I could leave my car in the tiny parking lot behind the restaurant (a real find, let me tell you). Yes! Bonus! Off I went.

The sidewalks on Captiva are so interesting, winding among the palm trees and the lovely flowers. It was a joy just to walk to the beach.

Lovely walk to the beach!

This hibiscus was the size of a dinner plate!

This is a flower not a bird!

The islands of Sanibel and Captiva were very hard hit by the BP oil rig disaster and the affects are still seen in the marine life. There is heavy advertising on the fact that these islands are as lovely as they ever were. It makes me wonder though, with the number of for sale signs that things aren't as lovely as the public relations folks make it out to be.

The dark markings on this shell are from the oil that it was sitting in close to shore last year. I know it's kind of hard to see, I was trying to be a bit artistic with this picture. Ho hum...

The land ward side of the island has white beaches, though they are very narrow and there is a lighthouse at the Sanibel end of the island. In typical fashion I took a picture to add to my collection of lighthouses around the US and Canada. Again, the beaches were busy. For some reason I started comparing it to the now favourite beach at Boca Grande. It just didn't seem the same. Maybe it was because on this side of the island you're looking at the land and large buildings of Ft. Myers.

Sanibel Island Lighthouse

Sanibel beach with causeway and Ft. Myers in the background. I love the umbrella in this picture!

So after a whirlwind tour of the island and checking out the thousands of rental places (I don't think anyone truly owns property on the islands) I headed over the causeway and back home for a dip in the pool.
I'm glad I went. I had heard so much about Sanibel and Captiva and now I know. It's a fun place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Kind of reminded me of the chaos Sauble Beach is on a long July weekend when it's really hot!

I have put the finishing touches on my journey from here to Ontario, all hotels are booked and driving times calculated. I have one week to go. Wow, I can't believe it. Really though it's been an awesome time and I've learned so much and enjoyed so much.

I, like many of the other Snowbirds, are starting their trek north. With the recent warm weather up north many decided to leave a little early, at least that was the talk in the grocery store the other day. (I love listening to chatter in the check out line, you learn SO much!)
Me? I'm on schedule and plan to do the things I want to do to finish up my time here. Today I'm off to catch a few of the greyhound races at the track in Ft. Myers. I'm a big time spender, don'tcha know. $6 a race. $2 on what ever dog has a cool name to win, place or show.

Woo hoo! (stop laughing, all of you!!)

The Man came up with this system when we go to the Hanover Raceway to the harness racing. You know what you're going to spend. If you make something great, if you don't you know what you lost. Works for me.

I leave you with a few views of Captiva Island

My lunch spot on Captiva Island. YUM!
Captiva Island Harbour
A tanned me with a shorter haircut!

Cheers all!







No comments:

Post a Comment