The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Final Day, for a year anyway

Well, the day has finally arrived.
I can't believe it.

Tomorrow is the last day of the count down to my leave of absence.
I still can't believe I'll walk out of the hallowed halls of St. Michael's Hospital for a whole year off.
Wow.
I know it's not going to hit me really because the first two weeks will be like a vacation that I usually took this time of year anyway.
It's after that that it will all start to really hit home.
Actually I will be nomadic for a while and home will be where ever I make it.
This is gonna be GREAT!

Last night I hosted a group of pals from my department at a local establishment for some libations and munchies after work. It was awesome. We had a blast.
On Thursday of last week there was a surprise party for me at work.
I still can't believe they pulled it off.
I work with guys you see and they are not really the party planning type.
They did recruit some help.
I was astounded and so surprised. I can't believe they did it for me.
So special!
I was so in the dark about it all.

I have many folks at work ramping up the anticipation being equally excited about my time away as I am which is so nice to see and hear. Everyone that knows or has found out about my plans are SO excited too and most say "it's the best thing you could do". Well, I know it'll be the best thing I could do for me and for my psyche. I really appreciate their support, especially TG, one of the clerical staff in the department, who, for the past couple of weeks has said "how many days?" every time she sees me. One of the dieticians, R, noticed I was walking down the hall in a very relaxed way yesterday. I replied with only, "Two days" that's all that was needed to be said! It's all fun!

My desk is cleaned out of essential stuff, my locker is cleared out of old stuff and my little corner for water bottles and coffee mugs in the lab is all tidied away.
Tomorrow I put my last set of scrubs in the vending machine, let the door close and walk away from olive drab pyjamas as work attire for a whole year. Yipeeeeee!

I wonder what I'll really feel like when I walk away?

Sad? Doubt it.
Happy? Yep, probably.
Tired? Maybe.
Jumpy? Perhaps because I want to get the next part of the adventure to begin.
Free? Absolutely!

As I write this 6 bags have been packed with various things in an order that shouldn't get too messed up and I think I'm done for the night. At least my body is, my brain keeps running on...

So, the final day is upon me. I think I might have a smile on my face for most of it.

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment