The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Whirling Dirvish

Really, I don't know what a "whirling dirvish" is.
I know what a tornado is.
I know what a dust devil is.
I know what a tasmanian devil is.
But
I don't know what a whirling dirvish is.
I know what one feels like though.
As the days wind down (5 working days left) and I begin to fit the final pieces together (a few accommodations have been booked) I find myself flying around the apartment or work or even on the subway thinking "oooh I could pack this stuff this way and it will all fit".

I picked up my Dahone Curve folding bike today from the coolest bike store in Toronto, the Urbane Cyclist on John street (no I didn't get any credit for mentioning it). They were so helpful and I have folded and packed in the car already my new red set of wheels. I have to give it a true test drive on the weekend and though the literature says it can fold down in 15 seconds it was a bit longer for me to do that right off the bat but really it could be done, with practice I think. I researched this little set of wheels (3 speeds no less) for a while and when I saw it, gave it a spin in the store I thought it was perfect. No long trail rides are planned with it but it will get me around a park nicely and give me a different perspective.

I'm still in my quest for the Koolatron cooler. That's proving to be a little more elusive but I will succeed!

What I noticed yesterday was that I'm going to miss many of my friends while I'm touring around.
I was at dinner with my friends D and R, who are expecting their first baby and we were looking at some of the baby stuff they have. Okay, the cutest was the pair of violet Converse high tops, how cool is THAT! Anyway, I realized I will miss being around when D has the baby, and she's having it at St. Mike's! Hmmmm
I'll miss our dinners and yak sessions. Hmmmm
I'll also miss the birth of my cousin H's baby. Another addition to the clan and I'll just have to check in on her new family when I roll through town again.

I know I'll miss my good pals and the yakking we do on the phone or when we're together but I have to remember that I'm on an adventure. A once in a lifetime adventure and we'll have so much to talk about when I return from which ever part I'm on. My friends are the best and I know they'll be travelling with me in spirit.
Oh yeah, and reading my blog everyday, seems it was a morning ritual for a few while I was in Europe.

The Man hasn't said much lately about the impending travels and I know that he will miss me too but I've got a whole year off and part of it will be spent with him on a longer time frame than the 48 hours we usually get together on a weekend. We may even drive each other crazy with all that togetherness. We'll just have to try it all out.

5 work days left.
Wow, I never thought I'd get this far, ever.
I never thought I'd have a year off.
I never thought I'd ever feel like I needed a year off.

Boy, do I ever.

I can't wait to get energized, enthused and enlightened about....life!

The Whirling Dirvish will come in for a landing soon I'm sure....sometime....in the future.... I hope....

What the heck is a whirling dirvish anyway????

No comments:

Post a Comment