The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Technology vs.Old School

Hmmmm. Which way will work for me?

See, I'm an "old school" map person.

Maybe it's my Girl Guide influence and the hours we spent pouring over maps to find our way through or around some obstacle to make it to "home base". I love maps. They can tell so much in a small glance.

Now there's technology.
GPS.
Satellite.
Weirdo things in the air that will send us a signal and point us in the right direction.
Hmmm.
I'm skeptical.
I still like my maps but my new car will probably have a GPS system.
Oh dear something to learn.
My Smart phone has one. I've found it handy but...
I still like my maps.

For Christmas this year I received a couple of really cool atlas'. Right, I admit I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to that. Ohhh she's excited about a book of maps. Well it's the beginning of a plan of travel. With a map I can see the big picture. Where will I end up?

This much I know right now.
I will leave in July, probably the second  week, and head to the east. Through Ontario and Quebec. With the odd pit stop included. Then I think New Brunswick. Then PEI for a tour around.
Lobster included in these two provinces. Then to Newfoundland/Labrador, I want to see a puffin.  Then Nova Scotia, ooooh more lobster!

What month might we be in now? Probably later in August or early September.
Then to Maine via the Cat boat from Yarmouth to the state. (Another thing off the bucket list).
Visit Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream in New Hampshire then head back to Ontario.

Repack, restock, visit. 
Head west.
Need to be in Cranbrook BC by September 14th.
Three Bars Dude Ranch.
Yay! Saddle up girls and boys!!!

Then to Vancouver/Surrey to visit family. Whistler Peak to Peak tramway is a highlight in my book.
Then south to the Pacific Coast Highway.
Then Vegas in October when a group of cousins will be there for a few days. 
Then???

Okay so that's as far as I've gotten in the planning stage.
I'm now in Nevada and it's close to November 2011. 
I think I need to be in Ontario by December for the holidays.
Right. I think Arizona and the central states will be hacked through on my way back.

I think I need a map.
A big one.
One I can draw my route on and figure out where I'll be each day.
Hmmm I think I have a wall in my bedroom that will fit a huge map.
Ya can't do that with a little screen and an electronic map.
I'll get my highlighters warmed up.

For now I'll still be the nerd and stick to the "old school" way and the paper maps.

I want to see the big picture.
Excitingly it's coming together.
Whee!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment