The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Routine of It All

We get up via some electronic device each morning.
We have our routine.
Don't mess with our routine.
Sometimes it's a very easy routine.
Sometimes not.
But...
It's a routine.

As I trundled along with a few hundred other silent, contemplative, sleepy people this morning I thought of how much this is routine.

I'm up, fed, watered, brushed, clothed and out the door about an hour before "starting time".
I travel, hopefully smoothly, to St. Mike's where, after picking up the 2 freebee papers handed to me by bundled up distributors at the subway exit, I wander in the Victoria street entrance.
I pass by Grate Lady (I don't know her name but she's always lying in her sleeping bag with her worldly possessions around her on the same grate each morning.
Up the stairs, inside, to the right. Tim Hortons....
I present my stainless steel travel mug and Tim Card to the nice ladies there.
Sometimes I don't even need to talk, they know what I like.
Good old plain black coffee.
I swipe my card, lid my coffee, wish them a good day and head to the elevator, up to 6, the work day begins.

It's routine.
I could go on about knowing most of the patients that come to the lab, or knowing what tests there will be that day. I might even guess correctly what T has for lunch (I can't believe he doesn't get tired of the SAME thing every day) but it's still routine.

In a few months I will be turning my routine on it's ear. There will be NO routine.
Wow, there, I said it, it's now on paper....or computer screen and you are a witness to it.

After 24 years of the same kind of thing every weekday I'll be able to invent what may day will hold.
For a whole year!
Could it be that I'll actually want the routine back?
Okay, maybe. For right now.... nope, no-way, uh-uh

A break from the routine has been said to be refreshing, educational and like taking a mini vacation if you change your daily routine for only a short time.
Right, I hear that but soon I'm going to really experience it.
To be out of my routine.
Weird.

Oh yeah, and I can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment