The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Future Dates for Regular Events....Unknown

It always amazes me how we get so caught up in getting appointments for something or other or making plans for a future event. We get ourselves so "booked up" in advance that it can be daunting to think about.

As I start to solidify my travel plans for my driving trip it is becoming apparent that I need to alert various organizations/people/appointment schedulers that I will be away. Or think I might be away. Or don't really know when I'll be back in the area for their scheduled event for me.

I volunteer a fair amount; for those that know me well know that it is something that has been very dear to my heart. Either with Girl Guides of Canada, the Anglican Church of Canada, the Duke of Edinburgh Society or most recently, Common Ground Co-operative I give my time, expertise and energy to help these organizations carry out their missions and visions.
(Advertisment time: check out all of these organizations by Googling them!)

As I receive updates of meeting schedules, planned events and requests for workshops I have had to let all these groups know that I'll be unavailable for them until at least August or September 2012. It's a very weird feeling.
I've never done that before. I've always "been there" and missing a meeting was a no-no in my life. These organizations have existed quite well long before I came along and they will continue to do so as I roam this earth for some true away time from the usual grind. I'll be back, that's for sure.

It's the same at work. There is accreditation coming up. That's where the hospital, as a whole, gets evaluated by persons of expertise in this area. We, of course, want to "pass". We always have but this event always brings a level of stress to the institution. This will be happening while I'm on leave. I don't need to worry about it in the future and any preparation will be performed by those that will be "in house" during the process in February 2012. I'll certainly help where I can but I'm off the hook when it comes to the final push to the accreditor's visit.

Things are changing in my look to the future with work. I have found myself not looking 6 months down the road because I won't be there. The lab, my colleagues and, I'm sure, process will still be in place when I return in mid 2012. I look at the next few months as a "cleaning house" operation for me. I will get all my tasks done before I leave and I will depart, temporarily, with a clean "in box" and satisfied feeling that I have done everything I can to make the place a better place.

Now if I could only clean my apartment as well as I clean my "in boxes" that would be awesome...

Ho hum!

No comments:

Post a Comment