The travels and travails of one finding her history, roots and some adventure!

Beginning in 2010 a whole lot of planning, thinking, worring and dreaming will start.
A Pilgrimage to where her father was born, lived and worked will be investigated.
Some items from a personal "bucket list" will be crossed off.
A journey of some thousands of kilometers will begin.
It will truly be an epic journey of a lifetime.
It is through family that I am blessed to have this opportunity.
It is through family that I will discover many new things.

And so it begins.....

Monday, May 7, 2012

Grand Finale?

Two months to go.
I can't belive it's been 10 months since I was last working full time and not travelling/roaming full time.
But there's one more destination that I've wanted to include since the beginning of this pilgrimage.

The Rock.
Newfoundland.
The "beginning" of Canada.
Where the icebergs float by and the puffins nest in crags and the people are fun and hospitable. (and have awesome accents that I just love listening to).

In the Toronto Star on the weekend there was an ad for CapeRace. A travel company that seemed to have all the answers to my questions about getting to see my puffins and ice bergs.
I won't say much about it here because there's nothing "set in stone" and I don't want to jinx it. Safe to say it looks like my goal/dream of getting to Newfoundland may actually come true!

I have not been sitting around since I arrived home from the US. My little home, L'Ann's End, has been in sorry need of some TLC so that's what I've been doing.
New shower curtains, new pillows, a hammock to hang, new picnic table; hauling wood inside, donating old books to the library, filling propane tanks, cleaning the whole place from the ceilings down, discarding old "cottage" clothes and the list goes on.
I still have the siding to clean and the gardens to tidy up but those chores will have to wait until the weather gets a bit warmer!

Today I actually (finally?) got a post office box here in Southampton. I have everything mailed to Toronto but over the past little while the mail person there has had some frustration trying to get the mail to the correct recipient. I even bought a metal mail box to hang on the outside door so our mail doesn't get squished, rained on or ripped. It has helped but I think it's time to get something up here. So, today I am pleased to say that I have box 1371 in Southampton for my mail, what ever I decide to have mailed here. When I eventually do move up here I will have my post box already. Nothing like getting things organized early!

As pictures are always enjoyed I have included some here.
I call this "Traffic" , I count 4 different sets of footprints here.

The next are a series of pics from around the Saugeen River mouth near the cottage. It was a nice evening and I thought some early snaps were in order.
This is the west range light, guiding mariners into safe harbour of the Saugeen River. It's an iconic design of range light on the Great Lakes. The green light at the top can be seen for miles out in the lake. The fog horn is activated by request to the Coast Guard these days. I can still remember the days when it was activated by the density of the air (foggy = heavier air) and it was a such a neat haunting sound but now, not so often. Of course the challenge as a kid was to stand under the fog horn while it was going on. Yup, been there, done that! :-)

This is an April sunset. A little different than the summer sunsets as the air isn't as warm so the colours aren't quite as dramatic. It still a special picture and I really like it with the small waves coming in. This is a quiet Lake Huron. I'll post some pictures of a wild Lake Huron (when it happens!).

Thanks folks for reading again. I know it's been a while. Better late than never! I'll post about my Newfoundland trip news either way...

cheers all!

No comments:

Post a Comment